Monday, May 26, 2014

Day 2: Recap - Exceptional Weather, Lots of Bike Traffic, Long Day


So I got up before the breakfast was served at the B&B. I was itching to get an early start. I figured I could find something in West Newton.  I was wrong. Everything was closed, being that it is Memorial Day. So I ate some cheese crackers in my bag and took off. The weather was cool and I was making some good time 
Some brilliant person that lives on the trail set out a refrigerator with snacks and drinks with the pay-by-the-honor system. Nothing like a chilled snickers bar out of a random refrigerator at 730 am in the middle of nowhere. Much respect for this entrepreneurial genius though! I love me some capitalism!
Rode 28 miles before I found a decent breakfast in Connelsvile.  
The trail ran next to the Youghigany River (pronounced Yock-i-gany). It is a beautiful river and because it's located in the Ohiopyle State Park it is protected from development. 
The falls at the town of Ohiopyle. I dipped my feet in to cool them off 

Ohiopyle is a popular tourist attraction in this area. A number of rafting companies offer whitewater tours on the Youghigany. 
Post lunch...hammering down to get to my final destination.  
After riding 56 miles I made it to the tiny town of Confluence,Pa. First stop was the local bike shop. The owner adjusted my brakes which were becoming increasingly spongy. There is a steep decent tomorrow so I need my brakes!  Apparently I'm the first person from Chillicothe to visit his shop - I got to put a pin in his map of the U.S. that shows where everyone is from. 
Staying at The Parker House tonight. Confluence has no hotels, just a number of independently owned inns, B&Bs and guest houses. 
Not a lot of restaurants open on a Monday night here but I found one that was open, The Lucky Dog Cafe. Had an awesome dinner, Chile Releno with chicken. Perfect!

Well I'm tired, my body is feeling it and quite honestly the thought of doing this four more days in a row is intimidating. Feeling nervous. 

Good night all...









1 comment: