Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Day 3: Cresting the Continental Divide

 
Today went really well!  Here I am moments after cresting the Eastern Continental Divide. 
 
 
Thunderstorms were in the forecast so I got an extra early start in Confluence.
 
 
Grabbed breakfast to go at Sisters Cafe in Confluence.  This helped me get a fast start.  I ate on the trail about 12 miles in.
 

All smiles after crossing the Salisbury Viaduct.  An amazing work of engineering for the railroad.  It was closed in the 90's and reopened for bikers and hikers.
 
 
 
After a break in Meyersdale it was time for the final ascent to the divide.  Here I am sucking wind.  The incline isn't extreme, just constant. 

 
I crossed over the divide around mid-day.  After that it was all downhill to my final destination for the day!!! Woo-Hoo!  Time to coast!!!

The benches are a dead giveaway for a photo op!
 
Crossed over the Mason - Dixon line on my way down the mountain.  Now I'm in Maryland!

 
Went through some amazing tunnels today!  Very long, very cold and VERY DARK!

Made it into Cumberland, Maryland around 2:30!  Coasting downhill at 20 mph for the last 23 miles sure helped!

Here I am at Mile 0 where the Great Allegheny Passage connects to the C&O Canal Towpath.  I'm done with the GAP, now its going to be the C&O all the way to DC.


Had a chance to walk around Cumberland this evening and have a nice dinner. 

187 miles left to go in my journey.  Everything is going well so far.  The C&O is different than the GAP in that the trail is more remote and rougher.  Time for bed. 

Good night all and hopefully I'll be able to update you tomorrow evening!










No comments:

Post a Comment