Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day 4: A Long and Muddy Grind

So today was harder than anticipated. First of all the trail was really rough and muddy. It was remote and I saw basically no civilization for 50 miles. It got hot and humid and luckily there were some wells for drinking water. 
Had no idea I was saying goodbye to civilization when I rolled out of Cumberland this morning. 
This guy was the first thing I saw on the C&O.  Not sure of he was saying "Welcome" or "Beware!"

I was covered in mud within 10 miles. 
Went through the Paw Paw tunnel. It is more than 3,000 feet long. The path is too dark and narrow to ride so cyclists are required to walk their bikes through. It took me 15 minutes!
Doing my part to rid the world of scurvy. 
For the last 12 miles I rode on the Maryland Scenic Rail Trail. It was paved and it felt awesome after being pounded on for 50 miles. 
Bike was a muddy mess when I got to the hotel. Too tired to go out tonight so i ordered pizza and am staying in. 

Today was the hardest yet! The trail was unrelenting and so remote. It was a grind and in some parts no fun at all. 






No comments:

Post a Comment